Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Challenge


I am fired up.

I having difficulty sleeping some nights because of the excitement.

It's not caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, sugar, or anything illegal that is doing this.

It's all in my mind.

It's what's going into my mind.

It's the reading I'm doing.

I have at least one book that I am reading from all the time.

Right now there are three books.

Last year, I discovered a book at Border's called "The Dip". It caught my interest because I was trying to decide what to do career wise. The group of radio stations I work for went through another management transition, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a part of the team anymore.

Sitting in Borders with me that Saturday evening, sharing a cookie and drinking some coffee drink was my wife, who was thumbing thru a stack of books and magazines.

I read most of the book "The Dip" and discovered that I really liked the author, Seth Godin.

So I went to the library and to check out "The Dip" but it wasn't available. Instead, I took home the book, "Small is the New Big", also by Seth Godin. I read it at night, I read it in the morning, I read it in about a week. I was hooked.

Since that time nearly a year ago, I have returned to doing something that I challenge you to do.

READ.

Not the depressing newspaper.

Not a trashy romance novel.

READ SOMETHING THAT WILL INSPIRE YOU.

READ SOMETHING THAT WILL CHALLENGE YOU.

READ SOMETHING THAT WILL MOTIVATE YOU.

"I'm too busy". That's a bunch of B.S. (baloney sandwiches)

15 minutes a day? How about 5 minutes a day two or three times a day? How about turning off the TV for 30 minutes and picking up a book instead.

Here's some ideas of where to start...

If you are in sales, then read, "How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling", by Frank Bettger.

If you want to learn the basics of running a business then read all the Harvey Mackay books you can get your hands on. (I'm re-reading one of them now).

If you want to stimulate your thinking, start reading Seth Godin's books. (I've read 3 and I'm currently reading two more right now).

That's the Challenge.

Do it for 4 weeks in a row, at least 5 days a week and you will have made it a habit, one that can change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment